AForge.NET

:: AForge.NET Framework :: Articles :: Forums ::

What is the License?

Forum to discuss the AForge.NET project itself (not Framework), its news, events, articles, etc.

What is the License?

Postby mr.shutdown » Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:45 pm

Hi,

What's the licence used by this library (I refer to the DLL files)?
For example can I use the assembly files in my closed-source software?

Thanks to all.
mr.shutdown

Re: What is the License?

Postby andrew.kirillov » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:26 am

Hello,

At this point the license is GPL for AForge.NET Framework 1.7.0, which does not allow using it in closed source applications. But, there are other options available - check license file within installation package.

With 2.0 there is plan to change licensing options ...
With best regards,
Andrew

Interested in supporting AForge.NET Framework?
andrew.kirillov
Site Admin, AForge.NET Developer

Postby hardywang » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:25 pm

I have an open source project at http://code.google.com/p/batch-image-wa ... -processor which is under GNU GPL V3 license. Could I reference to your project? And is it possible for me to modify some of your code if neccessary?

Thanks!
hardywang

Postby andrew.kirillov » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:57 pm

Hello,

If your project is open source, then there are no issues of using AForge.NET Framework at all. In the case you modify framework's source you have two options:
  • Contribute your changes to AForge.NET Framework project, so you don't need to host them on your side;
  • Or open sources for those changes you've made. Just keep original copyright note plus add a note about your changes.

Also it will be nice if you put a link on your project's site to AForge.NET Framework. I may do the same on AForge.NET website on the page listing projects using the framework.
With best regards,
Andrew

Interested in supporting AForge.NET Framework?
andrew.kirillov
Site Admin, AForge.NET Developer

Postby hardywang » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:00 pm

andrew.kirillov wrote:Hello,

If your project is open source, then there are no issues of using AForge.NET Framework at all. In the case you modify framework's source you have two options:
  • Contribute your changes to AForge.NET Framework project, so you don't need to host them on your side;
  • Or open sources for those changes you've made. Just keep original copyright note plus add a note about your changes.

Also it will be nice if you put a link on your project's site to AForge.NET Framework. I may do the same on AForge.NET website on the page listing projects using the framework.

Thanks Andrew, I will modify my code soon. Whenever it is ready to release I will add your project link to my page and notify you then.
hardywang

Postby mr.shutdown » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:10 pm

Thanks for the answers.
mr.shutdown

Return to AForge.NET