AForge.NET

:: AForge.NET Framework :: Articles :: Forums ::

GA and Random Seed

The forum is to discuss topics from different artificial intelligence areas, like neural networks, genetic algorithms, machine learning, etc.

GA and Random Seed

Postby grpesc » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:09 pm

Hi,

first of all, thank you for that great piece of software.

I would like to try out the Genetic Algorithm for my work and I am wondering if there is the possibility to set a random seed in order to reproduce an optimization result (given that the other parameters stay the same).

Thank you for the answer.
grpesc

Re: GA and Random Seed

Postby andrew.kirillov » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:40 pm

Hello,

You can always check documentation and see if there is any API which allows doing that.

From the code I can see that most classes create Random object internally without exposing it. So it means you cannot affect seed much unless you change the code.
With best regards,
Andrew

Interested in supporting AForge.NET Framework?
andrew.kirillov
Site Admin, AForge.NET Developer

Postby grpesc » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:25 am

Hello,

thank you for the answer. Is there a chance to provide an optional setter in order to change the random seed in one of the the next versions? I think, this would be interesting for many.

Best,
grpesc

Postby andrew.kirillov » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:54 am

You can always put an enhancement request into issue tracking system. Maybe someday it will be resolved.

You can also do the fix yourself and contribute it ...
With best regards,
Andrew

Interested in supporting AForge.NET Framework?
andrew.kirillov
Site Admin, AForge.NET Developer

Postby Eliza » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:28 pm

Dear firend,
I have some doubts:
1. The aim of the symbolic regression problem is to find the best approximation function for data input but I do not know how to interpret the solution of each test (used sample 2), you help me?
2. With the same input data the solution can vary greatly, I think it is the generation of random numbers. truth?
Eliza

Postby Eliza » Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:38 pm

Now I know that the solution is in notation polanesa. The solutions can vary greatly being generated with the same restrictions and input data and it is due by the processes of generating random numbers.
Eliza

Return to Artificial Intelligence