AForge.NET

:: AForge.NET Framework :: Articles :: Forums ::

Beginner : RCX doesn't respond

The forum is to discuss topics related to robotics, like building robot, controlling it, its software and hardware, etc.

Beginner : RCX doesn't respond

Postby adamss » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:12 pm

Hi. I installed Aforge for the first time today, but I can't seem to get it to work properly. My own code doesn't work, neither does the enclosed "RCXTest" test application under samples.

I've tried to get it to work under both a 32- and 64-bit version of Windows 7. Under the latter, I had to compile for a 32-bit processor to get the RCXTest application to run. I'm using an RCX 1.0 brick, v 3.1. My IR tower is serial, connected to my PC via a USB adapter cable.

When I debug RCXTest, I can see that the the RCXBrick instance returns true for both IsConnected and IsAlive. Calling methods against the brick doesn't throw any exceptions and I can see the tower's green LED light up whenever I try to do anything, but I can't drive any of the motors, nor get any state back (battery power, sensors etc). Stepping down into the code up to the GhostAPI layer seems to suggest Ghost is not returning anything from the brick, but isn't throwing exceptions.

Is there something really simple I'm doing wrong? When running Lejos programs, one needs to upload a temporary firmware to the brick, and then java programs, in order to run anything. I assume Aforge talks "live" to the brick, without any need to manually upload anything?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
adamss

Re: Beginner : RCX doesn't respond

Postby andrew.kirillov » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:32 am

Hello,

Does the RCX has firmware on it? I had similar issue in the past. The problem is that if you changed batteries recently, then you will need to upload firmware on it. RCX keeps only basic firmware when it is not powered. So after changing batteries it loses the main firmware and it needs to be loaded again. Without this "main" firmware it will only accept connection, but will not respond to most other commands. Loading firmaware can be done using the software which comes with RCX.

Can you at least connect to it?
With best regards,
Andrew

Interested in supporting AForge.NET Framework?
andrew.kirillov
Site Admin, AForge.NET Developer

Postby adamss » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:52 am

Thanks Andrew, I'll try this. I haven't used the official Lego software in years as I preferred Lejos, which comes with firmware. I didn't even consider that the official firmware might be needed.

Connecting to my brick works fine with Lejos.

I hope the official Lego software works on Windows 7 64 :)
adamss

Postby adamss » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:15 pm

Thanks! Got it to work ... downloaded the Mindstorms SDK and uploaded the firmware from there.
adamss

Return to Robotics