AForge.NET

:: AForge.NET Framework :: Articles :: Forums ::

NXT woes

The forum is to discuss topics related to robotics, like building robot, controlling it, its software and hardware, etc.

NXT woes

Postby supagu » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:51 am

So I recently bought a NXT 2.0 lego set. I've been trying to make a robot that has 2 ultra sound snesors (i bought an extra ultra sound sensor). The problem i've been having has been with motors.
While i have worked out motors are inaccurate at low revolution counts so using the motors to be like servos to steer a wheel to control direction has not proved fruitful. So I've have tried two wheel drive and getting them to rotate at different power levels to get my robot to turn. How ever this seems erratic, sending the same command multiple times seems to every now and then turn with some seemingly random rotation.

I've been looking at other solutions such as this:
http://www.robotshop.com/world/dfrobots ... kit-8.html

i want to make a robots that i can attach some sensors to, such as ultra sound to make it autonomous, where my computer is the brain and controls the robot via some wireless communication.
if any one has any better suggestions (or cheaper) or know if what i want to do is possible with NXT let me know.
supagu

Re: NXT woes

Postby andrew.kirillov » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:04 pm

It is possible to build quite many different things with Lego NXT actually. Of course it is still an advanced toy with certain limitations, but still it allows building quite a lot. Regarding motors’ control ... Try gears which are included into the NXT set. Using gears you may get much better precision.

If you want something else rather than NXT, then you may find a lot of difference controllers/electronics. It just depends on the amount of features you want to get and price you want to pay.
With best regards,
Andrew

Interested in supporting AForge.NET Framework?
andrew.kirillov
Site Admin, AForge.NET Developer

Return to Robotics