AForge.NET

:: AForge.NET Framework :: Articles :: Forums ::

Implement kohonen self organizing map on NXT brick

The forum is to discuss topics related to robotics, like building robot, controlling it, its software and hardware, etc.

Implement kohonen self organizing map on NXT brick

Postby irfan0611 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:17 pm

I am trying to Implement kohonen's self organizing map on NXT brick using RobotC. If I leave Robot at any unknown place it should recognise objects using its two motors and sonar sensor!
I need help to build the robot!!!
irfan0611

Re: Implement kohonen self organizing map on NXT brick

Postby andrew.kirillov » Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:08 pm

Hello,

irfan0611 wrote:If I leave Robot at any unknown place it should recognise objects using its two motors and sonar sensor!

The sonar sensor just gives distance to objects. Motors are aimed to for moving the robot, they are not sensors. So I am really wondering how you are going to "recognize objects" using just one value - distance. Objects are usually recognized using some of their features ... You must be dreaming about something ...
With best regards,
Andrew

Interested in supporting AForge.NET Framework?
andrew.kirillov
Site Admin, AForge.NET Developer

Postby irfan0611 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:40 pm

I dont have much knowledge about robotics but I guess the sonar sensor detect objects...If I run the robot in a room and when it detect any object it change its direction. up to this point I did coding which works fine....

but I am not sure how to recognize objects.... maybe its some thing to do with training using Kohonen SOM?
irfan0611

Postby andrew.kirillov » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:30 am

irfan0611 wrote:I dont have much knowledge about robotics but I guess the sonar sensor detect objects...

Don't need to guess. Study the subject if you don't know it.

Sonar sensor is used to measure distance to object. Single value of distance will not allow to you recognize object. All you can get is to know that there is something there (on a certain distance), but you can not recognize it.
With best regards,
Andrew

Interested in supporting AForge.NET Framework?
andrew.kirillov
Site Admin, AForge.NET Developer

Postby irfan0611 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:56 pm

Yeh You are right!

For recogniziation I might have to use other sensors but in my work I dont really have to implement codes which recognize objects. I just need to detect objects and change direction of the robot. for now I am looking how to design robot and the pseudocode. do you have any idea how should I start?

Thanks
irfan0611

Return to Robotics