AForge.NET

:: AForge.NET Framework :: Articles :: Forums ::

Correcting gloss in pictures

Forum to discuss AForge.NET Framework, its features, API, how-tos, etc.

Correcting gloss in pictures

Postby aish0 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:42 am

Hey,

I am trying to do some color classification of pixels in an image (I have a set of 8 colors - I see if the a pixel in the image is close enough to one of these colors - I classify it as belonging to the cluster to which it is closest).

One problem I have encountered is, there is a glossy coat on top of the material being photographed...this results in shiny-ness and a glossy-effect on regions of the photo. Is there some way I can correct for this, so pixels in that region can also be classified properly.

I realize that to give a perfect answer to such a vague question would be impossible, but any kind of ideas/pointers would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Aish
aish0

Re: Correcting gloss in pictures

Postby andrew.kirillov » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:59 am

Hello,

Well, it depends on how glossy are those regions ... If they are so glossy that just look white, than it may be not so simple.

What I would suggest is to try doing classification not in RGB color space, but in HSL color space, for example. There you may use Hue component, which tells what is the color (red, green, etc.), and ignore such components like brightness and saturation. Also other color spaces may be tried.

If you could attach sample picture, this could help.
With best regards,
Andrew

Interested in supporting AForge.NET Framework?
andrew.kirillov
Site Admin, AForge.NET Developer

Re: Correcting gloss in pictures

Postby aish0 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:29 pm

Hi Andrew,

Thank you for your quick reply. That is definitely a possibility we could look at. Unfortunately due to some reasons, I cannot post the pictures. I will try experimenting with working in the HSV space rather than the RGB to see if I get better results.

Thanks again,
Aish
aish0

Return to AForge.NET Framework